Sunday, March 14, 2010

dog obedience training

It was the last straw. I came home to find my wife sobbing her eyes out on the couch. There were her new black pumps, chewed beyond help or even recognition. Not only that there was also a big pile of dog poop on the floor of the living room right next to the shoes. That was it. No matter what the girls wanted, I had had enough of that dog.

Choco had been long wanted and wished for by my family of daughters. They begged me over and over again for a dog but since I hadn’t really had a dog since I was a kid myself and I didn’t have much experience with dogs I begged off, at least for a while. But then one day my oldest daughter came home and said that her friends chocolate lab had had a litter of puppies and we could have one if we wanted. My wife and I talked about it and we told her we might consider it.

A few weeks later, we went over to see the puppies and Choco just seemed to connect with each of my daughters and even my wife and I. All of the puppies were cute like puppies are but Choco was special. I knew and the family knew. I knew that she would be joining our family. The girls named her Chocolate Sauce but we started calling her Choco for short.

Soon, though we starting realizing the problems that come with an untrained puppy, everything from accidents in the house, to chewing, unnecessary barking at friends and neighbors and even nipping at my youngest daughter and my daughter’s friends. I didn’t have a clue on how to train a puppy and my wife didn’t either, the girls were too young to know exactly what to do and when they tried, it just made matters worse because girls have a tendency to squeal and all that did was scare Choco.

So I looked into some training. To get into an obedience class in my area, I found out that it would cost $90.00 for the weekend and we would be in a class with at least 12 other dogs. That seemed expensive and I wasn’t sure that I felt comfortable enough that I would even be able to learn myself, let alone train Choco.

But the day of the shoe incident, I knew it was over. I either had to figure out how to train this little mongrel of a puppy or we would have to get rid of him. So I started searching the Internet. There were a large variety of different products, some sounded good and others sounded confusing. But I found a dog obedience training course and it made sense to me. I especially liked the fact that there was a sample video that I could check out. I tried the techniques suggested on the video that night and it was amazing! Choco responded right away and I was so thrilled.

So I ordered the complete course, 7 videos about everything I needed to have so that Choco could remain the much beloved and treasured member of my family that she had already become.

Training Choco turned out to be easy when I had some decent instructions on what exactly to do. She responded immediately to the training methods that I learned about in the videos and we all enjoyed working with her and training her to be the kind of dog that our family needed.

Now Choco is a joy. She is well-behaved, sweet and lovable and she has become exactly the type of dog that we all dreamed of having when we picked her out of that cute little litter. And my girls are

thrilledthat worked for us and I can wholeheartedly and completely recommend it to anyone who is having trouble with their dogh

No comments:

Post a Comment